From Whitney Hopler, former About.com Guide
- Patron Saints
- Miraculous Apparitions of Mary
- Saints Who Inspired Holidays
- Saints Known for Relationships with Angels
These patron saints are faithful people who have died, gone to heaven, and now pray for people on Earth. Each patron saint specializes in helping people with particular types of concerns. Believers say that God regularly performs miracles through patron saints when people pray to them.
Miraculous Apparitions of Mary
People often report encountering miraculous Marian apparitions around the world. Learn here about these spiritual appearances of Saint Mary (who is also known as the Virgin Mary), which have attracted the attention of people of all faiths and led to reports of many associated miracles.
- What Are Marian Apparitions?
- Who Was Saint Mary? (The Virgin Mary)
- Mary's Appearance in Lourdes, France
- Mary's Appearance in Zeitoun, Egypt
- Mary's Appearance in Guadalupe, Mexico
- Mary's Appearance in Knock, Ireland
- Mary's Appearance in Fatima, Portugal
- The Miracle of the Sun During One of Mary's Fatima Appearances
- The Angel Who Prepared People for Mary's Fatima Appearance
- Mary's Appearance with Archangel Michael in Dong Lu, China
- Mary's Appearance in Kibeho, Rwanda
- Mary's Appearance in Vailankanni, India
- Mary's Appearance in Assiut, Egypt
- Mary's Appearance in La Vang, Vietnam
- Mary's Appearance in Prouille, France Creating the Rosary Prayer
Saints Who Inspired Holidays
The lives of these saints inspired people so much that they created holidays to honor them, and those holidays are still celebrated today. The word "holiday" is derived from "holy day" because the calendar dates for new holidays were based on when people remembered the lives of particular saints on dates that were known as holy days.
Saints Known for Relationships with Angels
These saints were especially close to angels and often spoke or wrote about angels.
Saints Associated with Animals
People associate these saints and their miracles with animals, from the pets they love to the wild creatures who inspire them.
- Saint Francis of Assisi, Patron Saint of All Animals
- Saint Blaise, Patron Saint of Wild Animals
- Saint Roch, a Patron Saint of Dogs
- Saint Hubert of Liege, a Patron Saint of Dogs
- Saint Gertrude of Nivelles, the Patron Saint of Cats
- Saint Mark the Evangelist, the Patron Saint of Lions
- Saint Martin of Tours, a Patron Saint of Horses
- Saint Eligius, a Patron Saint of Horses
- Saint Gall, Patron Saint of Birds
- Saint Brendan, Patron Saint of Whales and Dolphins
Famous Female Saints
These women have become some of the most popular female saints.
Famous Male Saints
These men have become some of the most popular male saints.